Monday 9 January 2012

Tasmania - Day 3 - Port Arthur

Well, today was a full day, the second day with the campervan, under a very wet weather. A day full of first times. After our first night in the van, I had my first cat's toilet in the van, with a food container filled with water and a hand towel. Killian skipped that bit, not surprisingly.

We headed down to Port Arthur where we booked in the Bronze Tour which lead us to discover about the life of convicts in the 19th ct in that settlement. Harsh life, driving them sick or mad due to the separation punishment, except from a few lucky ones. We visited Australia second most haunted house in there.

Around lunch, I used the gas cooker for the first time, yoohoo, was easy! I made noodles and smoked chicken broth, i'm kind of a gourmet backpacker. I replaced butter on bread with olive oil as well.. 

We did a short underwater (rain) trip to remarkable cave. Then headed down to tasmanian devils conservation park. Killian was happy to see kangaroo, devils, birdies, quolls ...

It had stopped raining for that time, but is soon started again afterwards. I stopped at a few other sites, the Devils kitchen and the Tabletop. Killian stayed in the van while I visited, drenched.

After that, I took the road of the East Coast planning to stop anytime I had mobile network. I heard it around Sorell. I called Jesus to say that I was alive! After a brief stop at a Coles, and sorting out my banking stuff as I was running out of money, I was back on the road planning to stop only at destination. I had a bit of a night drive, and stopped somewhere in Orford in a residential area near Shelley beach. Not my ideal spot, but seemed safe and I was too tired and it was too late to explore other options. I fell asleep quite easily this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment