Monday 9 January 2012

Tasmania - Day 12 - Sheffield to Montaigu

We woke up in again in the same shady forest camp. First time of the trip we had slept 2 nights at the same spot.

Charcoals were still warm, but our prayers to the spirit of the fire were heard. No misbehaviour. After an hour of extinguishing the fire by splattering them all around the fireplace, only the remnants burning ones were blowing sparkles like a magic wand when we were digging and splatting around.

I phoned the bank, halas my transfer did not arrive due to Christmas. Damn, only 50 left or so until the next day, hopefullt. Not much. That means no visits to the nearby caves. Just enough for food, some fuel, and maybe a lil treat or 2.

We drove slowly to Sheffield, a beautiful little town, still south of the coast. Very picturesque, a nostalgic air, and famous for its few streets painted with murals and some local shops. Like the world of marbles, a shop full of wonderful glass blown sphere, by various artists, with incredible design. I was keen to walk along and buy some small stuff but no money. I just bought cheap sunglasses, because driving without them in a blazing sun is an extreme discomfort, and some food.

From there I had the vague idea to watch penguin, but watch out, they are only going back to feed the youngsters at sunset. So I decided to move forward on the west, not stop next to devonport but rather in Burnie - I didn't want to wait all day for these penguins.

We stopped at a berry farm in Turner's beach, at Killian's request, to collect our own strawberries. I watched out that our bag wasn't getting too heavy, I still needed to pay for them. These strawberries were delicious, the best I had ever maybe, warmed up and ripe by the sun, extremely sweet and juicy.

We stopped at Penguin, I still wonder why. Then at Burnie, which was an awful kinda big city. I didn't want to wait 6 hours there, so I headed up till as far as I could. The first camps I found were near crayfish creek, in national park. But the fee was still $13 eventhough I had paid a 2 months park fee. This fell like a rip off so I went off past Stanley, to Montaigu. The camping there was not amazing, and also $10. Anyway. I had enough of driving at that stage.

We had a quick walk on a rocky beach, quite beautiful again, although less lush than the other ones, a bit more special. And then a quick dinner and off to bed.

Tomorrow I d better have some money, because fuel tank and food supplies are near empty.

No comments:

Post a Comment